I LOVE home improvement projects, which I first made mention to back in this previous post. Not sure why, but I do. I've realized it's probably because as I'm working, I'm able to basically shut off my mind and feel like I'm being productive. Essentially, killing 2 birds with 1 stone. What's better than that? Not much if you ask me.
Some of my favorite projects to-be are replacing outdated ceiling fans to swanky new ones; re-painting our master bedroom...for the 3rd time; adding modern hardware to our kitchen cabinets; replacing our staircase spindles from the current worn-out white wood ones to lovely dark metal spindles; framing and adding fun tiles to the old mirror from our master bathroom; making small white faux-fur rugs/throws; and changing out our hanging kitchen table light fixture to a bright new slightly-more modern version.
I've got ideas and projects coming out of my ears. I was so happy when the Fall weather started to kick in, because that meant it was time for inside projects to begin. I'm also one of those people who adores and lives by a never-ending list of To-Do's. I've created this whole list of fun-things-to-do-to-the-house. Problem is, I'm constantly adding to this list. Explain to me how I'm ever going to finish it all...I'm not.
The latest projects we've been working on are re-finishing an antique coffee table, painting our kitchen pantry and painting my old toy chest.
My parents gave me the coffee table to use while in college. The poor thing really took a beating. We've decided it's time to show the table some love. We stripped the old stain, sanded it down and have started to brush on the new darker stain.
Our front living room is what you say, um, bare. Furniture-less. And I was really tired of it. Especially since it's the room you enter into from the front door. So when my parents mentioned they had my old toy chest they were more than willing to relieve themselves of, I jumped on the offer. It will give us a little bit of seating, plus, I saw a fun painting project in my future. The chest is getting a fresh new coat of white paint and some new silver hinges, and will reside in the front living room until we purchase some actual seating.
Back when we were house hunting, one of my biggest requirements was a decently-sized pantry. Yes, a walk-in with an actual door would have been fabulous, but let's not kid ourselves. Thankfully our house did include a pantry, but it had been added separately from the rest of the cabinets, so the coloring wasn't exactly the same. Plus, try as I might, I could not remove the nasty greasiness left over from the previous children of lore. My solution - paint it white. I personally like the contrast to the wood cabinets, which may also end up becoming white some day in the future after seeing the finished product and how crisp and clean it looks.
Once the coffee table and toy chest are complete, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the finished products. And as we continue to cruise down the To-Do's list, I will definitely be sharing our stories and completed projects. Happy Tuesday!
FAQs About Our New Floors
1 week ago

Love the toy chest! How the heck do you make your own rugs???
ReplyDeleteNot exactly sure yet Krista, but I got the idea and directions from my new favorite blog...Young House Love! Can't wait to make them and I'll definitely let you know how it goes.
ReplyDelete